Feast on turkey this thanksgiving
ABOUT three weeks ago US children dressed as monsters and asked for sweets. That was Halloween. In a few weeks American houses will be red and green and filled with presents, for Christmas.
As if all this isn’t enough, on November 22, America will enjoy another festival — Thanksgiving.
Children will have two days off school, shops will close and houses will be filled with families enjoying mountains of food.
Thanksgiving is a traditional festival that started in 1621, soon after the first pilgrims (清教徒) arrived in the US to start a new life. After a hard year, they had a big autumn harvest. They held a feast and invited the native American Indians to thank God for giving them enough food. Thanksgiving has been celebrated ever since in the US.
Now, Thanksgiving is a time to thank other people for their love and help in life.
Three “Fs” highlight (突出) the important parts of Thanksgiving:
It is a day for a big dinner. A roast turkey is the most common dish of a Thanksgiving dinner. Other dishes include mashed potatoes (土豆泥), green beans and carrots. For dessert, various pies are often served, particularly pumpkin pie and apple pie.
For Thanksgiving, most people in the US spend it with their family. They may have to travel a long way to be with their parents or grandparents. No one wants to be alone on that day.
Lots of people like to watch American football on TV. Some even watch it all evening!
Leave school with no regrets
PEOPLE say that high school is the best time of your life. During these three years, there is more to a teenager’s life than just homework and classes. As this year is flying by, it’s a bit scary to realize that high school is close to coming to an end. Have you done anything meaningful and memorable before you graduate?
A sentimental (感伤的) teenager posted on Baidu.com a list of 20 things that high school students should do before graduation, so that they will not regret not having done them. Here are some of the suggestions. Check to see if you have missed out on any:
1. Make a speech or sing a song in front of your class no matter how shy you are.
2. Bow to your most respected teacher and say “Thank you”.
3. Say “I love you!” or “I like you!” to the girl or the boy that you love after the big exam.
4. On a rainy day, shout out the name of the girl or boy that you love and wish her or him happiness if you are not brave enough to do what No 3 tells you.
5. Come to school early, if you are often late, so you can see when every classmate and teacher arrives.
6. Choose a quiet place and have a talk with a classmate who has misunderstood you in the past. You will probably find something surprising about yourself and this classmate.
7. Follow a piece of advice from one of your classmates.
8. Remember to keep every classmate’s phone number.
9. Take a thorough (仔细的) look at the books and test materials that you have used. Give it to younger students for free.
10. Try a new haircut and wish for a new start.